Saturday, December 20, 2008

Odds-n-Ends

The Christmas rush is over (for me at least), and I now have no excuse for not keeping up with my blog. The Christmas Cantata I directed is over. They did great! The holiday break at school has begun - whew. My Christmas shopping is complete, except for my husband's gift. I know what I'm getting him though, and that's half the battle. So now I get to relax, get caught up on housework, read, finish my WIP, and enjoy my family and friends (not necessarily in that order).

I did finish reading a few books since my last post. I read CORALINE, by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it very much, although it was rather creepy. CORALINE is coming out soon as a movie. The film's website is a blast. You can check it out here. Neil has been blogging about CORALINE in his journal.. It's quite interesting and worth the visit.

I also read FOUND, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, the author of the Shadow Children series. The School library Journal blog sums it up best... "Thirteen years ago an airline attendant saw something impossible. When the plane appeared on the tarmac it somehow appeared without anyone realizing it had landed. Stranger still, it contained no pilot, no crew, no adults at all. Just thirty-six babies strapped in their seats. Fast forward to present day when new friends Jonah and Chip check the former’s mailbox. There, resting inside is an unsigned note that simply reads, “You are one of the missing.” A cruel prank? It certainly seems that way until Chip gets the same letter. Then they both get a follow-up that reads “Beware! They’re coming back to get you.” They? They who? There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to the notes until Chip discovers that he and Jonah have something in common. They were both adopted. And with the help of Jonah’s sister Katherine there’s more to discover. Why does an FBI agent have information about the boys’ birth parents? Why did Katherine see a man appear and disappear in an office one day? Who’s been sneaking around Jonah’s room, looking through his things? And what’s the real story behind that plane? The answers lead the kids to discover their connection to seemingly impossible events." My thoughts? It's a really great read!

And last but not least, Brenda informed me she has tagged me for the Honest Scrap Award (Thanks, Brenda!).
"Scrap means left over, fragments, discarded material. Many times truth and honesty are discarded material, considered fragments and left over. People like us need to tell it like it is, and let the scraps fall where they will. There are 2 guidelines for receiving this award. One, you are to list 10 honest things about yourself. Make them interesting, even if you have to dig deep. Two, present the award to 7 other bloggers."

So here goes:

1. I started writing my novel on a dare from a group of 10, 11 and 12-year-old students. Their point? They said they have to show me their writing so I should have to show them mine. I discovered I really like to write for an audience.

2. I have less than 5 pages to go and the first draft of my first novel will be complete. I'm not sure I want to finish it. What happens if it sells? Can I keep up with the responsibilities? And if it doesn't sell? The disappointment could be huge.

3. I'm pretty blunt sometimes. I don't mean to be. I just am.

4. I have a healthy dose of the bossy gene. It runs heavily on the Taylor side of my family!

5. I work with gifted kids and love it!

6. When I went to college after high school I couldn't decide between graphic design, music or dance. I chose music performance and was doing quite well, but when my son was born I decided I needed to be home - not traveling. It was a good choice.

7. I still think about taking art classes. Maybe Santa will sign me up for one?

8. I usually keep a private stash of chocolate, and I don't share.

9. I hate having my picture taken - even for the school yearbook.

10. I would live in sweats and tennis shoes if the world would let me. Appearance is overrated. Let comfort reign!

CJ, Angie, Chocolateer, Kim, Linda

4 comments:

C.J. Raymer said...

Thanks, Nora! I just ventured on today to find this. It made my day as I'm very sick with a stomach funk. I'll post it tomorrow. Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! XOXO CJ

Nora MacFarlane said...

CJ - I certainly hope you feel better soon. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Linda D. (sbk) said...

I'm similar to you -- I wish I could live in my pajamas. Some days I change back into them after my shower and even where them to my kid's events. Yup, I'm one of those embarrassing moms. :D And yes, nothing is more important than comfort.

Brenda said...

Nora...great list...I am also a pj wearing all the time kinda gal...and I have a chocolate stash that I keep in my desk...under lock and key...grin...

Happy Holidays!