Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nervous Wreck!!!

My daughter has finally been released from physical therapy and went back to gymnastics tonight for the first time. She was sooooo excited to get back! I was a nervous wreck... She made fabulous progress getting her arm straightened again (after a total dislocation and broken elbow). It only took two months. But the doctor made it clear she's not completely healed. "Go back to the gym, but no impact activities. You WILL dislocate it again if you don't follow my directions!"

I watched her tonight. She worked hard and had a ball. I held my breath for nearly the entire two hour workout. She has permission to work on the beam and the bars. No Vault, and only the dance routine for floor. She has to mark the tumbling runs. I worried about her hanging from the bars. I worried about her falling off the beam. I watched her climb a 30 foot rope to the top in no time flat, and worried that her arm would be too tired to come down. I was sure she'd fall, and we'd be back at square one. When it was all said and done, she was fine. I didn't need to worry.

I was like that in the beginning with her therapy too. I was so upset because I thought she was going to hurt. She was a trooper. Never shed a tear, but I did.

Friday is her next practice. I'm going to drop her off at the door and leave. I'll pick her up when it's over. She'll be better off. I'll be better off. We live less than ten minutes from the gym. I can get there fast if I need to.

I say that now. We'll see...

7 comments:

Mrs. Random said...

Drop off and leave. Its a good plan :)

Trisha Pearson said...

How wonderful that your daughter healed so quickly. Kids are amazing, aren't they? Still, it's hard not to worry....Good luck with the dropping and leaving!

Anne Spollen said...

My prediction: you will linger a bit before leaving.

But glad she's better. : )

Nora MacFarlane said...

Nope. I dropped her off at the door and kept on driving. She was in a snit. It made it much easier to drop her off!

Anonymous said...

Brava! Sounds like you both did well overcoming;)

Rena Jones said...

Yikes -- having taken gymnastics for years, I know where you're coming from. I'm glad to hear she's feeling better.

Adrienne said...

I think you're both pretty brave!