Monday, September 28, 2009

My Favorite Time of Year

There's something about the arrival of fall weather that refreshes and revitalizes me. The to-do list suddenly doesn't seem daunting. My windows get washed along with walls and baseboards. I clear out the garden for spring and plant trees in the yard. My kitchen smells of stews and pies and hearty soups. The garage gets a make-over as I hope that I can fit my van inside before the first frost. My two mile walks in the park turn into five. I especially love walking the trails through the woods. The air is chilly and damp from the earlier rains and sharp with the musty smell of wet leaves. It's my favorite time of year.

Fall has come a little earlier this year than usual, and I hope that means that it'll stick around longer too. I'm never ready for the Cincinnati winters. Icy and bitter cold one day, wet and miserable the next, and gray, gray, gray everyday.

So I'll enjoy this beautiful weather while I can, and I'll pray it lasts a long time. Love it!

8 comments:

Rena Jones said...

Fall has always been my favorite time of year as well.

Christina Farley said...

It's not fall here yet but now you're making me really want to experience it! I love the fall. Maybe it's my favorite season.

Adrienne said...

I love fall weather, too. It's still too hot here to enjoy being out in the middle of the day, but the mornings and evenings are finally cooling off.
And stew and pie season is always something to look forward too!

Nora MacFarlane said...

It is unseasonable cool for the end of September. Our high today is supposed to be 61 degrees. I've pulled out a sweater for the day. Love it.

Bish Denham said...

Yep, I like fall too. It's even cooled off here in Texas! Yahoo!

PJ Hoover said...

I love this time of year, too! So many reasons I can't even list them. But especially the smell of the air!

Anonymous said...

About the only thing I like about fall is the smell.

Kelly Polark said...

We've had a great September so I hope we enjoy a wonderful fall. I do hate Midwest winters, but I think I'm here to stay in the Midwest. I love everything else about it!