Thursday, February 12, 2009

Writer Friends and Reading Buddies

I love my writer friends and reading buddies.

It was a girl's day out today. I had a late lunch (early dinner?) with my critique partner and friend. We met at Applebee's at 2:30 and talked at the restaurant for nearly three hours before heading to her house to talk for another three. We met for fun, not for work, but our passions are books and writing, so of course that's what we talked about. We discussed titles of ARCs she had read/critiqued that she thought were exciting, books we have recently read that we enjoy, the disappointment of manuscript rejection - especially when a contract seems within reach, should we submit to editors or agents, upcoming writer's workshops in Honesdale, the economy and the effect on the publishing industry, and our opinions of our nation's politics. In short, girl talk. : ) It was fun. I definitely need to do that more often.

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I love getting out and talking books with people! It's such a bond!
Glad you had a great day!

Christina Farley said...

Oh that does sound like fun! What a great day. We writers need days like that to offset the rejections.

Carrie Harris said...

Oh, I need to do that. I need to do that BADLY. Anyone want to move to Michigan and do lunch with me?

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Anne Spollen said...

You are so lucky to KNOW writers. The moms I know are like, "You do what?" and it pretty much sounds like, "So they let you out for weekends..."

Nora MacFarlane said...

It is fun! I don't get to do it often enough. I am thankful for my writer friends. They keep me grounded and (sometimes) sane.

Anne - I met my friend, Kathy, through a local writing group. She is terrific - and lives just 20 minutes away!

Carrie - I'd do lunch!! Let's see... it's 5 hours to Ann Arbor, then where? (grin)

Brenda said...

Sounds wonderful! I really need to make time to do this...