Thursday, April 30, 2009

SAVE THE CAT!


I LOVE this title!

Helen Hemphill stated in her Nashville workshop this past weekend that studying screenwriting was one of the most constructive things she's done to learn about the craft of writing. She recommended reading SAVE THE CAT! The Last Book On Screenwriting That You'll Ever Need, by Blake Snyder. I've taken her advice to heart. My copy came in the mail today!

As I peruse the Table of Contents, the first thing that catches my attention is the title of chapter one: WHAT IS IT? It gives a short description: "The importance of 'the idea' - What is a 'logline' and what are the four requirements to creating a better one? - What is 'high concept' and why is it still relevant? - Test pitching your movie for fun and profit - Plus five games to jump-start your idea-creating skills." If I can come away with a better understanding of how to write my logline, the book purchase is justified.

One more resource before I sign off for the night. Check out the Tennessee Screen Writing Association website. Click on "Writer's Tips" on the toolbar at the top of the page. There are all kinds of worksheets to help you plot the perfect novel.

Keep Writing!

7 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

It is a great title! And sometimes I can come up with a log line right away. Other times not so much. It's hard!

Trisha Pearson said...

Thank you for sharing that! After reading The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler, I began to wonder if learning about screenwriting would be helpful. I'll put Save the Cat on my wish list!

Christina Farley said...

Oh I'm going to check out that link. Thanks for sharing!

Bish Denham said...

I need to check this book out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the resources!

Anne Spollen said...

Going to check out the link -- love that title!

sruble said...

That sounds like a good writing book - thanks for the recommendation.