Thursday, June 11, 2009

Beginnings

I don't know about you, but I can't get into gear writing a new novel until the beginning is written and satisfies me. It doesn't matter that I've got all of my character sketches complete, my research is complete, that the roadmap is clear, or that details from other parts of the story are flying around in my head. I know lots of writers who start in the middle then work forwards or backwards or jump all over the place. Not me. I'm a linear critter.

I've been struggling with the start of my new novel, probably because I've been closing and moving classrooms, finalizing school paperwork, and otherwise mentally occupied. School ended yesterday, and last night I was finally able to put down the first five pages - and I'm happy with them. Doesn't sound like much, I know, but it makes a big difference in my writing state of mind.

I think I'm ready to take off with this novel - which is a good thing, since I've publicly committed myself to 25k words by the end of June. I need to write 1200-1500 words a day to accomplish this. Good thing it's summer! Only 23,836 to go...

13 comments:

Christina Farley said...

Good for you!!! You're doing awesome. I'm terrible with first chapters. I write a bunch of chapter ones and I'm still not satisfied.

Anonymous said...

Way to get your groove back! I need to start at the beginning when I write too. Sadly, it's the endings that always give me trouble.

PJ Hoover said...

I always spend more time on the beginning. It's actually the only part I'm allowed to revise before the first draft is done.
Good luck! The words will come!

Bish Denham said...

You go girl! Have a wonderful summer.

Carrie Harris said...

I'm the same way. I must have rewritten the first two chapters of my WIP about 16 times. And I think I may be underestimating.

Here's to both of us forging on!

Sarah Dooley said...

Five pages isn't half bad for the first night free from teaching! I've been free since yesterday (still having workdays, but those aren't tiring like the real thing) and I haven't written a blessed thing. Good for you!

Mrs. Random said...

You go girl! June is a *great* month for writing!

Nora MacFarlane said...

Thanks all - it does feel good to start writing again. Funny how we all re-write the first few chapters...

Sarah - I'm fairly useless the first week after school is out. Then after about 5 or 6 days I suddenly have tons of energy. I get so much done!

Rena Jones said...

Good luck, Nora!

Adrienne said...

That sounds like a great start! Gook luck.

Martha Flynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trisha Pearson said...

I'm the same way about the beginning. I just can't go on until I'm somewhat satisfied with it.

Hooray for getting your book off to a satisfying start! Good luck on meeting your monthly goal - You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree with you more. The beginning (even if it changes in the second or fifteenth draft) has to be right or I can't move on.

Is there a help group for this? ;)