Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Goodbye, Humphrey!

Saturday was a sad day.

My dear friend, Humphrey, an iBook G4, said his final goodbye. He was a wonderful and reliable laptop. We've surfed the net, watched movies, played with my pen tablet, and written many stories together. Only once did he get sick. He required a brain transplant. He was a gentleman through it all, timing his surgery just 30 days before his warranty expired. This past year he began to suffer from Sometimers, which just recently turned into a full-blown case of Alzheimer's. I dared not ask him to remember anything. Instead, I gently introduced a new friend named Flash. Flash and Humphrey worked well together.

Rest in peace, my friend. You will be missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a loyal and true friend. May he R.I.P.

Bish Denham said...

Sniff. Isn't it odd how we can become attached to mechanical things? I love that you named your loyal writerly pal.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Humphrey got his name when he was brand new from one of my students. He had a little light in the front that would glow and pulse when he went to sleep. So I said, "Shhhhhh, don't wake the baby." The response was to ask what's the baby's name. When I didn't know, they proceeded to name him.

This past year he became known as Grampa Mac - since there are several other Apple youngin's in the house.

Adrienne said...

Humphrey - great name! May he RIP.