Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SNOW DAY - Part 2



This is my favorite tree in my backyard. I understand that birches are flexible, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't cause damage. We'll see.

Today's snow day is different than yesterday's. Yesterday's snow day was lighthearted from the start. Even the snow was light and powdery - not much good for sledding, though. Today, a 1/2 inch coating of ice threatens to fell trees and down power lines, and another 3-6 inches of snow is expected to fall. The trees and rooftops outside my window are beautiful - and dangerous. The branches sag with the weight of the ice. If the kids decide to sled, I'll have to remind them to stay out from under the trees. I bet the sleds will fly today!

We didn't finish taking down the Christmas tree yesterday. I'm determined it'll be in the crawl space before the evening is done. I'm getting ready to fill the crock pot again, this time with white chicken chile, and I'll make some corn bread muffins as well. BTW: Brenda, yesterday's recipe was quite good!

Today's a writing day. It's peaceful outside. My to-do list is short. My head is full of ideas. Carpe diem!

8 comments:

C.J. Raymer said...

I have a snow day today as well. And, like you, I'm using it for writing... only! I rarely am gifted with these kind of days that I can dedicate to my writing. It's so nice, isn't it? I hope you have a wonderful, peaceful, and productive day. XOXO

PJ Hoover said...

I'm amazed at what some trees can tolerate!

Have a great writing day!

Brenda said...

I love how trees look with snow on them...I live in the mountains of Virginia and when the trees are covered with snow, it looks so peaceful...and beautiful...

Glad you liked the crockpot recipe...Hazel will be happy to hear that.. ;)

Mrs. Random said...

Ha! We took a snow day off of school as well, even though we didn't have to leave our house to do school ;) Though, we did have to leave our house to drive to Winton Woods to go sledding yesterday. It might be, it just might be, that the teacher is happy for a good excuse to skip out on school.

Christina Farley said...

Wow! What a picture! You have a beautiful backyard. I miss backyards...

Marcia said...

Today's a writing day. It's peaceful outside. My to-do list is short. My head is full of ideas. Carpe diem!

Wonderful. I hope the day is even better than you dreamed.

That's a gorgeous picture. I love birches too and hope yours doesn't suffer any damage. We had an ice storm like this once and our trees made it okay. Ah -- the danger of beauty, sometimes.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Thanks, All! I got lots done and enjoyed my writing time.

CJ - did you once say you taught kindergarten? I hope your day was peaceful as well.

Thanks, PJ!

Brenda - My mom now visits your blog for Hazel's recipes!

Chocolateer - Imagine that... you skipped a day of school to go to the park...

Christina & Marcia - I love my backyard. We live in a village that is smack in the middle of a large county park. We're still in town, but surrounded with a bit of nature.

Rena Jones said...

Great picture!