Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Busses and Children and Spiders - Oh My!

Today was the first day of school.

I am, by nature, a night owl. I love walking in the neighborhood late at night, and I do my best writing sitting under the stars on my deck in the wee hours of the morning. Three A.M. bedtime or later isn't unusual for me during summer or Christmas break.

Then schools starts again. It takes me a good three weeks to turn my internal clock around. I try to do it before school starts, but it never works. Six-thirty feels mighty early when your brain only shut off a few hours before. It doesn't turn back on again before 9.

I left the house at 7:15 with the plan to be at school early. And I would have been, if I hadn't driven to the wrong school. That's right. I went to a completely different building - one where I don't even teach this year. In my defense, it was a logical thing for my sleep-deprived brain to do since I started in that building last year. I didn't realize my mistake until I was sitting at the light with my signal on, waiting to turn into the parking lot. Hopefully, no one noticed. Unfortunately, my detour put me behind a school bus. School busses are rarely on time the first week.

I did make it to my morning building. I was greeted by this:


I am thankful the resident wasn't visible.


I made it through the rest of the morning and afternoon without further incident. The caffeine IV probably helped. My students were cute and fun and eager to get started. It's going to be a good year.

4 comments:

Christina Farley said...

This is sooooo funny! I had to laugh. I can't believe you stay up that late normally.

Sarah Dooley said...

I was afraid you were going to say there were spiders in your classroom. I think I'm scarred from the 17 mice we found, one at a time, some alive and some incredibly not, all over our classroom last year.

Anonymous said...

That's great that your first day went well--despite the giant web. I used to teach in a building that occasionally would have bats. THAT freaked people out a little.

PJ Hoover said...

Don't you love seeing a beautiful spider's web. It's such art in nature!