Sunday, August 30, 2009

Timing is Everything...

It's true, isn't it? Whether it's a job search, an accepted or rejected manuscript, or events in our everyday lives, timing plays a major role.

For instance...

Today is Sunday. Normally I arrive at church at 9:29 for a 9:30 rehearsal -I'm an accompanist and my husband plays the bass and trombone. I had just sat down on the piano bench when the music director called down from the sound booth, "Hey Nora, I think Tim's playing today."

Excellent timing! (think I). Not that I don't enjoy playing. I do, but it's a rare Sunday indeed when I get to take a break.

I decide to use my extra hour to knock off a few items on my 'to do' list for the day. I head to the van, make a few stops on the way to the house, then pull into the drive.

The 3 weeks before and the first week of school is rough on the inside of my van. It begins to think it's a truck, a kitchen, and a dining room table. I've got 30 minutes left before I head back to church, so I thought it would be nice to surprise hubby with a fresh, dusted, cleaned and vacuumed inside of the van. He would like that. I set to work, and when I finished I had to admit it looked pretty good. You think the van would appreciate that. But no. It decided to whack me in the head and face with the back hatch.

I texted hubby to let him know what had happened and that I would pick him up after church, then I headed to the freezer for an ice pack. I'm going to be pretty colors. Did I mention that school pictures are this week?

Timing is everything...

10 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Typical, no appreciation for your hard work.

10ec said...

ouch......Hope you don't bruise too bad.

Nora MacFarlane said...

I'm thinking it's going to look better than I first thought... here's hopin'!

Angela Ackerman said...

Yowch! Come up with an awesome story, like fighting off the aliens who tried to abduct you, or maybe you got the bruises from an alligator that you had to wrestle away from a group of old ladies standing too close to the sewer drain...

Nora MacFarlane said...

Ha! One of my friends suggested it become a writing topic in class. "How Mrs. Mac got her black eye..."

Adrienne said...

Ouch!
As for the pics, I guess you can always go for the retouching... :)

Anonymous said...

Just when you think you're getting ahead, you get a knock on the head. FIgures.

Anne Spollen said...

You have to admit, that is one great story...

Rena Jones said...

Oh no -- hope you didn't bruise up too bad. I have days like that all the time, especially lately. I've been getting hurt A LOT, which is unlike me. Feel better soon!

Nora MacFarlane said...

Thanks All. Bruise is gone - which is good. I got lucky. Pictures are next week!